[PD] sharing pd-files

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Mon Jun 14 22:53:15 CEST 2004

hi
----- Original Message -----
From: "derek holzer" <derek at x-i.net>

> I'll echo what the others have written about using CVS or pure-data.info
> as a repository for patches. However, if I understand you correctly,
> then what you want is to be able to access archived patches on your
> local network or other machines from your friends. In this case, yes,
> you would set the path, or use the "Path" button in the main PD GUI, to
> set the location of your friends' shared network folders. Then you'd be
> able to load the patches immediately.

yes, you understood, what my intentions are. my problem is actually not a
pd-, but a windows-problem. i'm running win98 SE and i found out, how to
share abstractions or patches in a LAN (as you described it). but i would
like to share the files over internet (not peer2peer-sharing, but with a
web-server or something similar). i think for this you need a virtual drive
or so to specify a path in the .bat-file. specifying a path to a link to a
folder in the .bat-file does not work (links seem not to be allowed in DOS;
i must tell i'm not a profi in these things). in a LAN you can make a
virtual drive on your computer from a folder of another computer (in german
called: 'als Netzlaufwerk verbinden') . i am looking for something similar
that works in the web and i'm still not sure if this is possible in win98 or
not.

> One other option, for network-jamming, would be to run your main PD DSP
> on one central machine, and have all the others access it via remote
> desktop, and then stream the audio results back out. Participants could
> also communicate with each other via IRC. This would give you something
> like the "extreme programming" that some folks here on this list were
> talking about last year--several people would be able to collaborate in
> [almost-]realtime on a single patch.

yeah, i heard about this. very interesting.

> good luck,
> d.

thank you very much for your advice

roman