[PD] Re: readsf~ / soundfiler crash with lots of big files

ClaudiusMaximus gloriousclaudiusmaximus at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Nov 11 18:15:10 CET 2004

The following assumes that you are talking about Pd crashing when your
patch loads samples via messages to [soundfiler] on startup.

I have successfully made and used a patch that loads 25 stereo WAV files
into 50 tables on startup, using [soundfiler].  Each of the WAV files
was 16bit stereo 44.1kHz and about 7 seconds long.

Then 96 sample players played back simultaneously a random selection of
the 50 tables using [tabread~].  I could get up to 128 sample players
but that didn't leave enough CPU time for the rest of the patch.

Unfortunately I seem to have deleted the whole of that patch directory
by accident and I don't have a backup (which annoys me immensely).

However, the Pd version I successfully used it with was devel_0_37
configured with the threaded soundfiler patch - maybe that has something
to do with success or failure.

Are you running Pd with the -rt flag?  If so, perhaps the time it takes
to load the samples is causing the Pd watchdog to kill Pd.