[PD] send messages to different abs with the same name

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Dec 14 02:23:50 CET 2004

Hallo,
Roman Haefeli hat gesagt: // Roman Haefeli wrote:

> in order to create an abstraction with maximum flexibility, i'd like to
> realize it kind of dynamical, which means it uses arguments to create
> further abstractions in itself. this new abs also create new objects in
> theirself out of the arguments given from the 'parent' abstraction. to
> create objs dynamically, you send  messages to 'pd-yourabs.pd'. the
> problem i have now is, i cannot adress different abs with different
> arguments but the same name.
> i can't figure out a way to solve this. is it impossible to send msgs to
> different windows with the same name? a $0-feature for abs-name would be
> nice......so an abstraction could at least send msgs to itself.
> other suggestions?

I'm not sure, if I understand your problem, can you illustrate, what
you want to do with some patches? I read it, that you want to have
soemthing like [pd $0-name] for an abstraction [$0-abs], right? As
nothing is known about $0 except that it is a number unique to an
abstraction, you cannot use this unknown number in a filename in
advance.

If you want to reuse abstractions, you have to handle the variable
part inside of the abstraction's arguments. You can pass $0 in
abstraction arguments, if that helps in your case.

Ciao