[PD] mp3 playing external

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Feb 3 20:01:08 CET 2005

Hallo,
Bartlomiej Bazior hat gesagt: // Bartlomiej Bazior wrote:

>  Yeah it isn't cool at all, but propably I'll end up doing something
> like this. First I thought about converting all the mp3 files to wav,
> but your idea seems to be better. On the other hand, I don't know if
> calling some external command line tool while pd is processing audio,
> won't cause any audio dropouts/clicks/etc.
>  I want to fit pd, sound & graphic files on to my 512MB portable USB
> memory, and using .wav as sound file format makes it somewhat impossible
> (due to a number and size of these files).

You could convert to ogg and use Olaf Matthes' oggread~ external.
There is an mp3play~ object in the IEMLib, also on CVS. I have found,
that it doesn't like to play many of my mp3 files, though.

Both objects are not really fit for doing DJish synchronization let
alone beatmatching. For this, only readanysf~ comes close, however not
close enough for my taste.

Ciao