[PD] Pd & a lighting console

Alexandre Quessy listes at sourcelibre.com
Thu Feb 10 07:14:54 CET 2005

Hi,
This all sounds good. Really interesting !

I find that Marc's way to do it with dimmer boards must be the most
efficient one. But it would take quite a few days to implement. (I
don't want to cross the street and borrow your dusty stuff : it's for a
portfolio...) I wish I could use a micro-controller yet, but I am still
not a assembly programmer !

There is http://semitone.sourceforge.net/diamond/ that could be quite
interesting in this spirit. A perl script in the semitone software
utilities at
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=80137 could allow
Pd to send messages from the shell. Perhaps we could even pipe the Pd
sound output to [g]mplayer and then to their perl script dimplayer.
Would you think it could work ?

As I am currently "only" running on OS X, the USB to DMX solution would
be ok, even though I would need to hack my kernel. Not too bad. The
dmxusb external looks all right. I would just need this Open DMX USB
device. (100$USD)

I think that the quickest way to realize this would be to use a midi
out. Then, I just need a midi-compatible lighting console. It would
also be quick, as in CPU-time. This (a compatible console) must be
possible to find somewhere around. To get things simple, I even thought
about displaying colors with a simple projector, but then, there
wouldn't be much fun left...

aalex

Join the Echelon Civil Disobedience Campaign!
Let's Overload Echelon!
sigint echelon sugar grove virginia sabana seca puerto rico waihopai
new zealand comsat intelsat interception wideband extraction aluminium
potassium sulphate signal analysis filtering data processing
nitroglycerin facsimile analysis nitrogen trichloride traffic analysis
phenol keyword recognition text retrieval topic analysis ammonium
hydroxide continuous speech recognition distillate diesel naphthalene
red nitric acid ammonium nitrate machine-transcribed speech