R: [PD] resonant comb filter series

pix pix at test.at
Wed Feb 16 18:32:35 CET 2005

On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 06:25:15PM +0100, derek holzer wrote:
> Hey Pix!
>
> pix wrote:
>
> >>why must we do
> >>deltime (msec) = (samplerate~ / Freq(Hz)) / 1000 instead?
>
> Again, my oops, it was:
> deltime (msec) = (samplerate~ / Freq in Hz) / (samplerate~ / 1000)
>
> >you shouldn't have to do this, you would only need to involve
> >samplerate~ if you were calculating the number of samples in the delay
> >line. but you don't need to, you just give it milliseconds and vd~ sorts
> >out the annoying stuff internally.
>
> This assumes a sampling rate of 44100, however. Have a look at my last
> mail, where I revised the algorithm. I've used my patch at 44100, 48000
> and 96000 Hz sampling rates and gotten consistant results, but I don't
> think that Davide's method would hold up outside the 44100 Hz range. But
> hey, I'm no Miller S. Puckette ;-)

(samplerate / freq) / (samplerate / 1000)

= (samplerate / freq) * (1000 / samplerate)

= (samplerate * 1000) / (freq * samplerate)

// (the two samplerates cancel)

= 1000 / freq

that's why it works on different samplerates.

the reason you might see karplus strong algorithms mentioning the
samplerate is because all of the implementations i have seen actually
use a table which is filled with noise to simulate a pluck. the table is
then progressively smoothed while it is being played.

in that case, you need to know the samplerate to work out the size of
the table. but with a delay line, you are just talking about length in
terms of milliseconds, and it is up to the vd~ or delread~ object to
work out the "physical" length of the buffer that it uses.

pix.