[PD] beginner's question

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Feb 17 09:35:38 CET 2005

Jennifer Carlile wrote:

> my questions are:
> -can the externs be in any directory?
yes

> -if so, where do you specify the path to that directory?

1) command line argument: "pd -path /path/to/my/libs/"

2) settings (depends on your pd-version; with pd>=0.38 just do
File->Settings; with prior versions edit the ~/.pdrc)

3) you could also load the external with its full path, e.g.
"pd -lib /path/to/my/libs/external" (without the ".pd_darwin")
or by creating an object with the full-path [/path/to/my/libs/external]

of course i would strongly discourage you from using absolute paths
(like in my examples) if you can prevent it, as this would arise
problems when trying to port your patch from one machine to another (not
to mention architectures)

> -I followed the directions included with the extern, but get a long
> list of errors when I say 'make' (200+)
no, but jrrt-fans usually do.

> I downloaded the full installer from
> http://at.or.at/hans/pd/installers.html, and it works great.
>
> I'm sorry I can't be more specific re: the errors I get when loading,
> but maybe there is some trick that this newbie doesn't know
> about.....? is there anything special you must do to install externs?

no. but if you are experiencing problems it is usually a good way to use
the "-verbose" flag when starting pd: this will give you a lot of
information, especially about loading and creating objects.

mfg.ads.r
IOhannes