[PD] how to do a http request from pd to a webserver and get the results

Winfried Ritsch ritsch at iem.at
Tue Mar 8 11:55:09 CET 2005

Hello,

Sorry when we didnt anounce before. We use for PD Webserver (especially
Zope/Plone) interconnection the

    iemxmlrpc lib (author thomas grill iem)

(I checked it in now in puredata externals under iem projects)
and put a releases at the moment here
http://puredata.org/Members/ritsch/temporary/

The trick is pd behaves as an (is a)  xmlrpc server and you can send messages
to receiver in pd and request for  messages of receivers. So its easy to get
info from pd and dont need pd connect to any other application, Also there is
a feature to send whole patches to pd and let pd execute them (be careful...)

Also a better synthax is used for message encapsulation, so xmlrpc takes over
all the communication needs for secure data transmission. (Maybe just a
better netsend/netreceive).

I just develop a project pd as radiostudio controllable over CMS systems
(Plone/Zope) with students.

mfg Winfried

Am Sonntag, 6. März 2005 13:53 schrieb Marc Boon:
> Roman Haefeli wrote:
> > hi
> >
> > [netclient] from maxlib (
> > http://www.akustische-kunst.org/puredata/maxlib/ )works in both ways,
> > sending data to server and receive data from it.
> > i tried the same thing and it worked technically, but instead of getting
> > the index.html-file i always got a html-file with an error-msg like 'bad
> > request'.
> > i don't know much about the http-protocol, but it seems you have to send
> > a quite accurately 'formulated' request to get the data you want. may
> > you try to connect from your brwoser to [netserver] (also from maxlib)
> > in order to see how such a request-msg looks like.
> > i always failed, but you may will be luckier than me. if so, let me
> > know.
>
> I ended up using [shell], sending it the name of a shell script as a
> message. The shell script first calls wget to do the actual http request,
> and then does some testing on the return value before sending the response
> to stdout, which is then picked up by [shell] again.
>
> This way, I can put the various wget options in this external shell script,
> and do all my error checking before sending the result back to pd. Makes it
> more flexible and robust. It also allows me to easily test (and modify) my
> http access script outside of pd.
>
> Thanks for all your input!
> m at rc

- ao.Univ.Prof. DI Winfried Ritsch
- ritsch at iem.at - http://iem.at/ritsch
- Institut fuer Elektronische Musik und Akustik
- University of Music and Dramatic Art Graz
- Tel. ++43-316-389-3510 (3170) Fax ++43-316-389-3171
- PGP-ID 69617A69 (see keyserver http://wwwkeys.at.gpg.net/)