[PD] using recorded positions as wave table

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Mar 14 17:12:55 CET 2005

Hallo,
pun chik hat gesagt: // pun chik wrote:

> hi , im trying to learn pmpd, ive read in the tutorial that movements of
> particles can be used for create new sounds...
> "The movement of one of the masses in the figure 8 membrane is recorded
> in the pd environment. Sound can be produced using this movement by
> using the recorded positions as a wave table."
>
> do anybody has an example patch of this???

I just posted one: http://footils.org/cms/show/41

it's using dyn~ to create the model, but the basic sound-producing
engine is there, too: Just write the masses' positions into a
wavetable using:

    trigger:
    [0(   mass positions:
     |    | | | | | | ...
    [pack 0 0 0 0 0 0 ...]

    [s tablename]

Then use "tablename" as source for a wavetable oscillator like
tabplay~, tabread4~ or xgroove~

In my patch, the array "$0-s" is used like that, however the [pack 0
0...] is hidden inside the dyn. corde.pd by Cyrille was posted here
1-2 weeks ago and uses a more direct approach.

You get the masses' positions from [massXX] first outlet by unpacking
the messages coming out of there. It's in the hep patch, but I think
the mass2D help patch has an error: you only [unpack s f f] here, not
[unpack s f f f]

Ciao

             _ __latest track: fqdn _ http://footils.org/cms/show/38