CPU usage of data structures [was: Re: [PD] Re: new pmpd developer]

Nicolas Montgermont montgermont at la-kitchen.fr
Wed Mar 16 16:36:43 CET 2005

Hello Frank,

>Morale of story (so far): Use the least amount of [set] object,
>concentrate on bundling [set]. This was news to me, too, thanks for
>hitting my head at this problem. ;)

You point out a useless CPU charge of my patch! Thanks to you I can add
mass and link to my simple model, but the computation remains difficult
for a structure which is designed to replace a fader. The only way seems
to have a template containing all the masses positions and to have one
global set for all of them, but the number of masses won't be easily
editable...

That allowed me to discover something about displaying datastructure.
The X-offset present at the starting point of the link depends of the
number of link present here, I explain :
The first link added to a mass got good position (links 0, 1, 2 of the
test patch) , the second one and every others (3,4) linked to him got a
1/2 pixels addition on their x-display, and so on. So link added last
got a x move of ~7 pixels! I've disabled your x addition of 5 pix to see
that better.

I've tried things like setting the plotting width of the line to 0 in
place of 2 but the problem is still the same... Perhaps it's a
datastructure bug? In this case I can't understand why it's only on the
x axe!

Does people on Windows & Mac systems got the same problem?

Thanks
Nicolas