CPU usage of data structures [was: Re: [PD] Re: new pmpd developer]

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Mar 24 17:08:16 CET 2005

Hallo,
Nicolas Montgermont hat gesagt: // Nicolas Montgermont wrote:

> The only solution seems to use two metros : one for the datastructures
> update at a period of ~50ms and one for the pmpd objects at a period of
> ~10 ms. That way, the pmpd structure evolves well and the datastructures
> don't use too much memory!

That would be possible, too, and probably the best solution, as the
eye is slow enough to not really care about that difference in
framerate (a period of 50 is 20 frames/sec which already is faster
than television images.)

However the implementation in the pmpd-editor which is not using
arrays (a lot) already is much faster than using array elements.  I
did a test with a square plane of about 40 masses and performance is
quite okay.

I did some more tests using mass3D instead of mass2D, so the editor
can be used to specify 3D models using one plane as well. Now I'm
wondering how to best make the model data available to other objects,
for example scanned synthesis algorithms. But probably something like
that is better solved with the future [pmpd] and [pmpd~] objects
anyway. ;)

Ciao

          _ __latest track: "scans" _ http://footils.org/cms/show/41