[PD] $1, message objects and pdsend

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Sat Mar 26 23:09:16 CET 2005

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005, simon wise wrote:

> When using $1, $2 etc in a message object the behaviour is odd: if a

In a messagebox, the first element is taken as the message-type, if it is
a symbol. Else, if there's more than one element, the message-type is
"list", and else the message-type corresponds to the atom-type (in this
case it's usually "float" but it also can be "pointer" if you do know what
they are...)

> float is the first element of a list then it is used as $1 - all the
> examples I can find in the docs show lists of floats only. If a symbol
> is first it is ignored and the second symbol is used for $1.

As I say above, it's not ignored, but the message produced is not
considered to be a list anymore. Furthermore, the message-type is never
accessible as $1, because $1 is the start of the message-content.

> The way I've set it up I want to send messages to various receive
> objects but I'm stuck trying to add 'list' to the head of a the text
> from netreceive without using external libraries - see my patch.

You may need a [prepend] object. There are several ones provided by
different libraries.