[PD] controlling robots/printers w/ PD

Marc Lavallée marc at hacklava.net
Mon Mar 28 19:23:10 CEST 2005

Le 27 Mars 2005 17:25, Ian Smith-Heisters a écrit :
> The only C compilers that I am aware of cost at least 100USD. There are
> open source compilers but they support a very limited range of PICs.

I believe that many interesting projects can be realized using PICs within
this limited range.

> ...for many projects. If you're only doing one project the PIC will cost
> the price of the chip, ~5USD, + the price of the programmer, ~100USD.
> Plus any compilers you've opted to use instead of assembler. This makes
> the PIC cost 105USD - 205USD/+ and the BASIC Stamp is only ~50USD.

PIC Programmers are easy to build, so in the end the starting price for
developing PICs is about the price of one BASIC Stamp. Beginners often buy
BASIC Stamp starter kits that cost between $100 and $200. I tried one a couple
of years ago, and had the feeling I was using some junior science discovery
kit... I agree that for a simple project a BASIC Stamp might be a good
choice, but I'd rather go with a PIC, even for one single project.

Atmel AVR microcontrollers are a serious alternative. They're cheap, powerful,
and don't require proprietary development environment.
http://www.linuxfocus.org/English/November2004/article352.shtml
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7289

--
Marc