[PD] loadbang in dynamic abstractions

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Tue Mar 29 00:06:11 CEST 2005

hi ben

----- Original Message -----
From: "B. Bogart" <ben at ekran.org>

> *cough*

*cough cough*

> I unfortunatly found many issues with things not happening in the
> correct time. Well that is to say when you dynamically create an array
> of objects the time between the message being send and the object
> actually being ready to receive messages is not 0ms. I can't remember
> the delay I needed, but indeed some abstractions would not get the
bang
> message if I sent it immediatly after the message to create the last
> abstraction. This is on OSX, which has had some GUI issues in the
past,
> could be related.

i attached a sligthly modified dir2abstractionArry.pd. it's working now
without a [delay] in pt.layerfx.pd. i tested it under osx, too. actually
it was not a gui, but a trigger issue.
to avoid these kinds of troubles, i recommend to place the outlets of
abstractions in their execution order from right to left - as pd-objs
do - in order to make the abs visibly understandable.

> Oh and this is also because I'm not creating my whole dynamic patch
with
> one message, but multiple messages. (This is because I'm creating one
> abstraction for each file in a directory)Also the number of files is
> indeterminant so I can't create one message to do it all...
>
> I guess the best way to test if the last object is done would be to
have
> it send a message "I'm done!" to the parent patch and then we know all
> the abstractions are ready... Maybe I'll do this...

i hopefully can convince you, that pd always keeps the order of
execution. :-) (which is important to know in terms of elegant
programming).

cheers
roman