[PD] Win 2000 pix_video

Ian Smith-Heisters heisters at 0x09.com
Wed Mar 30 08:58:49 CEST 2005

chris clepper wrote:

> What I find amazing is that you can't actually tell people about how
> poorly all this commercial software performs.  Once you show them the
> alternative then they realize, but usually resort back to the stuff they
> (over)paid for.  I also really enjoy reading press reviews that laud the
> latest and greatest software that has the same features Pd/GEM had years
> ago.  I guess someone should hire a PD PR person.

I think the other thing is that the ones using commercial software
usually aren't too interested in performance, control, or modifiability;
anyone who is quickly gravitates to OSS. I spend hours and hours
troubleshooting, compiling, installing, etc and I get software that will
do whatever I want efficiently, smoothly, and for free. But sometimes I
wish it "just worked", and that's when I could justify paying $500 for a
sub par piece of software that, rather than doing what I want, will
force me to want to do what it's capable of.

But programs like Final Cut Pro with its "Realtime Video" coming out
these days pisses me off; capitalizing on ideas and even code that's
been around for years for free. I don't mind FUD, but I do mind them
claiming they invented the wheel--at the least there should be credit
where credit is due.

But oops. Sorry for the rant. The only excuse I have is long rehearsals,
tech week, and too much wine ;)

-Ian

--
http://www.0x09.com