[PD] Bounty [Re: no licensing, no money?]

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Thu May 19 17:45:05 CEST 2005

Me again,

I agree with Guenter here,

Imagine if "investors" in the corporate world had a say in what the
company did with the funds. This would be a huge mess. The investor
chooses to invest in the company "PD" and the investor trusts the
organization to use the funds wisey. Some companies don't use them so
wisely. This is partially due to the fact that investors in
coroporations tend to know nothing and would make bad decitions.
Hopefully PD investors would have more sense. In cases where the
investor is a univerity though, then they could be considered as unfit
to manage as the average corporate investor.

I think improvements to PD as a community don't come from the
"development" only but from all those other areas Tim mentioned.
Commissioning work and workshops are great publicity and advocacy tools,
the PR machine. This leads to more users which attracts more developers
which attracts more work to be done on PD. I think any reasonable person
contributing to PD should understand this and trust the
organization/community to use the funds wisely.

If a user does not have enough trust in the PD organization then they
will probably not give any money for any purpose anyway.

B.