[PD] no dsp-chain update after dynamic abstraction-creation

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Tue Jun 7 11:18:29 CEST 2005

hi

IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> wrote:

> hi
>
> Roman Haefeli wrote:
> > hi
> >
> > creating an abstraction containing tilde-objs dynamically does not take
> > any effect (see the attached example). it seems that touching at least
> > two tilde-objs with the mouse (in edit-mode) causes pd to rebuild the
> > dsp-chain (is this the right expression?) and dynamically created abs
> > are 'integrated'.
>
> this is known, and i _think_ it is a bug, but read on.
>
> > will pd keep this behaviour in the future?
>
> i do not hope so.
> at least i would not rely on it at all.
>
> > is there a way to rebuild the dsp-chain whithout using the mouse?
>
> [; pd dsp 0; pd dsp 1(

thanks a lot for pointing me to this

> > is this behaviour intended, like the no-loadbang-thing in dyn. created
> > abs?
>
> the good thing about it is, that pd doesn't need to rebuild the
> dsp-chain each time a new ~-object is created. while this might look bad
> when you are just adding 1 or 2 objects, it is a real _feature_ if
> you're adding a lot of object~s at a time;
>
> so i'm not sure about this behaviour being a bug any more. (like i have
> been 10 lines ago)

i found out that, after creating the second abs~, the first one is
integrated, after creating the third, the second one is integrated etc.

that means you can not really control, when pd should rebuild the dsp-
chain, although this would be a nice feature (imo and as you mentioned)

> the only (imo) bad thing is, that with the "pd dsp"-messages you are
> forcing pd to rebuild the whole dsp-chain,
> it would be (again: imo) better, if you could just send a message to the
> subpatch to rebuild the dsp-chain there (like the loadbang thingy).

i'm not too deep into these things, but this sounds reasonable in my ears.

thanks again for fast answer

roman