[PD] Amazing Performance difference - Gem Midi osx

chris clepper cgc at humboldtblvd.com
Wed Jul 20 03:28:17 CEST 2005

What versions of Gem are you running?

If the whole OS becomes unresponsive yet GEM still cranks out the
pixels and vertices then that is a sure sign of the pthread scheduling
hack being on.  I thought that was only invoked with the -rt flag on
OSX, but maybe that has reverted back.

The curve3d object has some quirks apparently (reported on gem-dev
today) and it is certainly not easy on the CPU.  If one version you
tested was missing some metro driven events and the other got them all,
there would be a difference in CPU load.

I don't use any of the installers so I can't really help reproduce the
issue.  The best tool to use on OSX for diagnosing performance issues
is an app called Shark.  You need the developer tools, perhaps a CHUD
installer and more than a passing knowledge of the PowerPC architecture
to really make sense of it.  If you manage to record profiles of each
version with Shark then we could probably pin down the problem very
quickly and surely.  I strongly encourage the more experienced OSX
Pd/GEM users learn how to use this app as it can pinpoint bottlenecks
in you patches without fail.

cgc