[PD] midiout broken

vanDongen/Gilcher gml at xs4all.nl
Mon Nov 14 15:13:25 CET 2005

On Monday 14 November 2005 12:40, günter geiger wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Nov 2005, federico wrote:
> > I don't see any changes from my local version.
> > last time I checked midiout functionality with alsa_midi, note and
> > controllers worked ok, but system exclusive were not transmitted.
> > in fact I discovered that sys_alsa_putmidibyte never gets called (!).
> > in addition I am not sure if a message can be sent to alsa byte-per-byte
> > instead of passing the entire buffer, i should look at the docs...
>
> I fear that in order to make midiout work with ALSA one has to implement
> a midi parser and send the single events. Thats why Miller says its
> "wrong-headed".

I think alsa-lib has a build in midi parser that can translate raw bytes to
events and vice versa. The api is complicated and under-documented. It is as
if the alsa people don't want developers to use it, it is hidden underneath
several layers of documentation :)
I have used it for midi input, but it should be possible to use it for midi
output.
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/alsa-lib/group___m_i_d_i___event.html

Unfortunately I have no time at the moment to implement this :(

> Somone should really try to figure out how raw midi streams can be
> sent via the ALSA sequencer interface, maybe there's a way.

int
snd_midi_event_encode_byte ( snd_midi_event_t * dev, int c,
                             snd_seq_event_t * ev)