[PD] midiout broken

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Nov 14 18:43:00 CET 2005

günter geiger wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Nov 2005, federico wrote:
>
>>I don't see any changes from my local version.
>>last time I checked midiout functionality with alsa_midi, note and
>>controllers worked ok, but system exclusive were not transmitted.
>>in fact I discovered that sys_alsa_putmidibyte never gets called (!).
>>in addition I am not sure if a message can be sent to alsa byte-per-byte
>>instead of passing the entire buffer, i should look at the docs...
>

> Somone should really try to figure out how raw midi streams can be
> sent via the ALSA sequencer interface, maybe there's a way.

hmm, i had another quick(!) look at the code and federico's observation
that sys_alsa_putmidibyte() never get's called seems to be the more
tragic issue than the wrong headed implementation of "raw" midi in the
alsa-sequencer.
i have committed a fix for this to the patch-tracker at
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=478070&aid=1356455&group_id=55736

the actual implementation of raw midi-out is still based on the
sysex-hack, but is now seems at least to work correctly.
(but i have no possibility to test whether it works exactly like
oss-[midiout])

mfg.asd.r
IOhannes