[PD] max msp vs pd

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Wed Nov 16 22:06:18 CET 2005

Yves Degoyon wrote:

> but i've seen a very good distribution lately
> that includes pd, it'argentinian and focused on music softwares :
>
> MUSIX : http://www.musix.org.ar/

My Brasillian friends are working with something they call Mubuntu.
Basically it's just the Ubuntu installer with DeMuDi packages on top.
Not difficult to do, just add the sources to your apt-sources list. Only
watch out for the DeMuDi core packages, as the configuration they do
breaks some of the Ubuntu nicities.

> i'm not any more into doing efficient objects
> for people with a nice titanium and a dv,
> i think i don't care..
>
> you can have expensive means of production,
> still got nothing to say...
>
> hehe, provocation, sooo sweet...

If you're running a "nice titanium", you'll be wasting a lot more time
with Linux than you should, unfortunately. The amount of work, and in
some cases sheer impossibility, to get a Powerbook (espc a newer one) to
properly do such normal things as sleep mode, wifi and and accelerated
graphics is pretty frustrating. (Mind you, this is coming from a guy who
builds Gentoo multimedia systems on x86 all the time!) Makes you wonder
if all that work just tuning the OS is worth it when a great many FLOSS
apps can be made to run in OSX with at least the same amount of work or
much less.

Another provocation? ;-)

d.

--