[PD] What about multilingual Pd ?

Piotr Majdak piotr at majdak.com
Tue Dec 13 13:56:28 CET 2005

Hi Mathieu,

Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Dec 2005, Piotr Majdak wrote:
>
>>Localization: nice-to-have. Stable objects and stable GUI: must-to-have.
>
> Reread the mail you are replying to. What you are replying doesn't take
> into account what I say. What will users that don't code in C and Tcl do
> about stable objects and stable GUI?

They use stable pd objects via stable pd GUI. Why should a pd programmer
code C/Tcl?

> What else can they do? Why prevent
> them from translating things?

That's not what I said. If someone wants to invest some energy to
improve pd, there are issues pd better needs than translation of
"Message" to "Nachricht", at least from my point of view. But I don't
want to prevent anybody from doing it. As long as pd doesn't support
unicode and is not I18n-compliant any localization doesn't matter. But,
someday, it'd be very nice to have a localized pd, of course...

> Will you help me doing that? I need someone with C and/or Tcl skills,
> preferably both.
[...]
> But who will do all of that?
[...]
> However, if you'd like to delegate the task of making decisions like that,
> I wouldn't refuse some money as it is.

I would like to help. Unfortunately, my focus is not software
programming. I use pd as a programming language, and as a user I just
want to point to some issues. It's up to developer of pd to take my
problems with pd serious (or not).

BTW, users pointing to issues like me shouldn't be back fired like "you
have a problem -> go and change it". I am a pd _user_, not developer, I
hope you see the difference...

br,

Piotr

--