[PD] Synths! (Please Read)

Martin Peach martinrp at vax2.concordia.ca
Mon Apr 3 21:16:58 CEST 2006

Chuckk Hubbard wrote:

>My school has one of the first Moogs, which I managed to get my hands
>on, and a smaller Moog and an Arp 2600.  Great fun (an amazing
>opportunity really), and unlimited microtonality, but not always
>precise.  I don't know much about maintenance, it could just be that
>they're old, but it doesn't take long for the oscillators to start to
>wander.  Also, not only restricted to octave equivalence, but to 12
>notes.  It's easy to lose a few hours to their seductive ways, though.

Later synths like the Oberheim Xpander have a microcontroller to handle
the patching and MIDI interface but also to tune the voltages. Since the
controller frequency is very accurate, it can count frequency and apply
voltage offsets to keep it in tune. (It only does this when you ask it
to tune though). I was thinking you could use pd to count frequency and
a DAC to generate voltages, that way you can have whatever tuning you
like, DACs with more bits and better linearity are preferred. I built a
circuit using a PIC16F628 and a DAC716 to control analog synths via
MIDI. I use pd as a sequencer.

Martin