[PD] target audience for tutorials

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Apr 17 17:11:16 CEST 2006

On Apr 17, 2006, at 4:17 PM, Mark Polishook wrote:

> Sorry, I meant to send to the list but pressed reply instead of

Let's take it back on the list!

> On Apr 17, 2006, at 8:39 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>

>>> Possibly. But I need to think about it a bit more. One issue with
>>> documentation in general that I'm not sure about is "who is the
>>> documentation for?"
>
> I'm writing a tutorial for my students. So that's the context of
> thinking about it. Figuring out - how to rewrite existing materials
> at the level they come to things such as Pd.

I am also in the midst of the process of writing an intro tutorial.
Right now, I am going thru all of the workshop/tutorial materials I
can find (mostly listed on http://puredata.org/docs/tutorials ) and
putting together a tutorial for people to start from scratch.  It
would be great to join forces on this.

All of my work is in CVS, plus I put up some archives on the web:

http://puredata.org/Members/hans/downloads/

>> Well, if you just want to take a stab at it, you can start another
>> wiki page.  As for who this documentation is for, I think that the
>> definitions should be for everyone.  I am all for making things
>> clear for the beginner, but I think that over-simplifying things
>> hinders learning in the long run.  But of course that's not easy
>> to do.
>
> Most of the existing documentation is excellent for those with some
> programming experience and computer skills but less helpful for
> complete beginners -  this is not unique to Pd. Asking about the
> target audience is similar to a writer thinking about their
> audience. So perhaps the question is what's the level that
> materials should consider.

I think what we've discussed in relation to PDDP is making things
modular.  So there would be tutorial modules for each topic then
intro modules for the newbies.  The more advanced users could skip
the intro modules, or there could also be advanced intro modules,
like Pd for Maxers, Pd for OO Programmers, etc.  But if we can use
the various intros to get people to a similar level, then the other
topic-specific tutorials would go from there.

I am trying to put together the intro for newbies right now, with the
basic assumption that the user knows how to use a standard WIMP GUI
(I don't think that a Pd tutorial would be the best place to learn
how to navigate a GUI).  I think its decent as it is right now, but
still needs a number of gaps filled in.  But our goal is to avoid
writing a manual, per se, like the Max/MSP tutorial, but rather have
the whole intro be in the form of step-by-step tutorial patches.  So
learning by doing from the very beginning.

>  I'm going to take a try at it, but the outcome will not be
> immediate.Oonce we get to May, I'm hoping to join in to PDDP
> discussion(s).

The more, the merrier!  Plus the more people contribute, the better
the docs will be.  I personally have found it enlightening to hear
many different perspectives on teaching.

.hc

>> .hc

>> _______
>>
>> "[W]e have invented the technology to eliminate scarcity, but we
>> are deliberately throwing it away to benefit those who profit from
>> scarcity."
>>                                                      -John Gilmore

____

I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and
during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man
for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers.
                                             - General Smedley Butler