[PD] Multiple (same) instances, and [sssad]

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Aug 9 10:50:35 CEST 2006

Hallo,
geiger hat gesagt: // geiger wrote:

> I think the person who edits the patch (the "programmer") should be aware
> of this, he should know that the settings for the first abstraction go
> into the abstraction that is on the left, just as he knows that the
> inlet/outlet that is on the left will be the first one.
>
> Of course if you add an abstraction, there won't be any data for it
> to load.

Yes, that's no problem. Btw: With "$1-tags" it also is possible to use
the same tag for different instances of an abstraction so that they
share the same settings which is very useful for dealing with
polyphony.

> Also, if you add the abstraction at the beginning, the whole
> data will be shifted one abstraction.

Urgh ...  ;)

> If you remove one abstraction at the end, nothing happens, if you
> remove it somewhere in the middle, the data will get loaded
> differently.

Urgh++ ;) ;)

> Anyhow, not too different from adding and removing inlets and outlets.

inlets and outlets are the only thing in Pd where position really
matters (ignoring internals like connections for now), and that's
already a little problem, although we got used to it. But you may
remember proposals by Matju IIRC to introduce inlet arguments to
specify which inlet should be at which position. I think, that was an
idea carried over from jMax.

Anyways I generally prefer the explicit approach Pd uses most of the
time. Two patches that print the same should also behave the same and
that isn't the case anymore if we rely on position alone to load data.

How did [state] handle this?

Ciao