[PD] nqpoly4 simple instructions?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Dec 9 07:19:07 CET 2006

On Dec 8, 2006, at 1:28 PM, derek holzer wrote:

> Hi Frank and the list,
>
> I was searching for some help with nqpoly4 and found this from last
> July...
>
> Frank Barknecht wrote:
>> Attached is a reworked version of nqpoly4, which should be compatible
>> but I only tested it with your many-osc.pd so far.
>
> I still can't understand how to create abstractions for nqpoly and
> get it to call them, but at least your version looks a bit cleaner ;-)
>
> Can you explain in simple steps how to use this patch?

The right inlet serves as the loadbang.  You need to use the right
inlet instead of regular [loadbang]s  The left inlet is where the
messages come from.  Your patch needs to take its command from the
left inlet, then when it has finished executing that command, it
needs to send a bang to the outlet to tell nqpoly4 that its available
again for another command.  That's about it.

> Also, if I wanted dynamic voice handling (i.e. voices shut off when
> not in use to save CPU), does nqpoly handle this by itself or would
> I need to build a [switch~] into the abstraction?

Hmm, you'd have to add the [switch~] AFAIK.  But it would be really
nice if it handled that for you.  That should be possible by having a
[switch~] in nqpwrap.pd and make it controlled by the allocation
logic.  That would be very slick and not too difficult.

.hc