[PD] Abstraction [define]

Cesare Marilungo cesare at poeticstudios.com
Sun Dec 17 04:18:34 CET 2006

I don't want to sound pretentious. But i think that there's an easy
answer: save *everything* as a default behavior. I should load a patch
and have the very same situation I had when I saved it.

It's true that we all use Pd in different ways and to accomplish various
things. But it would be the most intuitive implementation to consider a
patch in this way. I already use Pd like this, toggling the 'init'
property for every slider and such. If I need to save the state of an
abstraction I make a GOP that expose all the parameters I need so
they're saved in the state they were when in the patch where I'm using
them. If I want to reset something when the patch is loaded I use the
loadbang.

An abstraction is a patch and so it should have its entire state stored
when I save it. When I use a patch as an abstraction from another patch,
saving the latter should save the state of the abstraction as it is.

To cut a long story short, I'm hearing the output of a patch now and I
like what I hear. I hit ctrl-s, close Pd. When I reopen the patch I
should hear the very same output. For backwards compatibility we can
make a toggle in the settings for this new behavior and maybe separate
the implementation from the state in the patch file format.

Maybe there are some drawbacks in this approach that I haven't
considered. Let's discuss it.

c.

http://www.cesaremarilungo.com