[PD] gem, text

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Dec 21 20:41:37 CET 2006

On Dec 21, 2006, at 12:19 PM, james tittle wrote:

> On Dec 21, 2006, at 3:59 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>>  used optional libraries:
>>>
>>>   font-rendering         :
>>>
>>> I think this was a case of code that wasn't in Fink.  How about
>>> adding
>>> it to GemLibs?
>>
>> it has been added to GemLib several months ago.
>> however, this doesn't mean that somebody had made any effort to
>> actually
>> use the FTGL-code in there. (read: GemLib/FTGL is _not_ build by any
>> Gem-build targets; Gem's configure does not automatically look into
>> GemLib to search for libraries).
>>
>> so much things to be done...
>
> ...yep:  what really needs to be done is to set up FTGL in
> sourceforge (as it's own project, not just as sub-project of gem),
> then add that to the gem build process...I had contacted the author
> of FTGL before I came down with leukemia (he has basically been
> looking to do this for awhile...), but have since kinda dropped the
> ball :-(  However, things are really going good for me health-wise
> now, so I'll move this up higher on the "to-do" list!
>
> jamie

Your good health is far and away the best news!  Very glad to hear
it!  I think you definitely get a pass for dropping the ball ;)

As for FTGL in CVS, that's kind of a separate question.  For the auto-
build farm, there are two supported methods of maintaining library
dependecies: Fink and Pd CVS.  (Using anything else is just too much
work).  So even if FTGL is in its own CVS repositories, it would
still need to be in Fink or Pd CVS.

If someone else wants to do it in a different way, that might work,
but only if they are fully committed to maintaining it.  The whole Pd-
extended build will hang on that, so they would need to fix the
problems when they arise.

scarcity."        -John Gilmore