[PD] reverse delay for live signal processing?

Kevin McCoy km.takewithyou at gmail.com
Mon Dec 25 21:26:08 CET 2006

Peter! You're the man.  That opens so many possibilities for me.  Thanks!
Always wondered what the difference was there.

I will look into vasp.

Kevin

On 12/25/06, Peter Plessas <plessas at mur.at> wrote:

> Hi Kevin,
>
> i think you are getting dropouts when using arrays since the graphical
> data in the array object is being updated. Use the [table] object (which
> is the same as an array, but without the graphical display right
> visible. The waveform is accessible once you double-click it).
>
> Using arrays/tables you can also loop backwards, which is not possible
> using delread/write.
>
> So you would have to write into an array cyclically (phasor~ is your
> friend here), and read at the same position, feeding back the audio
> signal from the tabread to tabwrite, thus creating a loop.
>
> You would have to force pd to do this one after the other ("order
> forcing") by putting the into a subpatch each, and connect those
> subpatches via audio patch cords. (there is also something on this topic
> in the help patches in you doc folder i think).
>
> Once you got this working, don't forget to check out the "vasp" library!
>
> Good luck,
>
> Peter
>
> Kevin McCoy wrote:
> > Hello listy,
> >
> > A lot of my friends play instruments I would like to process in
> > realtime.  I
> > understand that one popular approach is with delay objects.  At first I
> was
> > wondering if there was a special array that didn't give dropouts when it
> > was
> > rewritten in realtime.  I don't think there is?
> >
> > But similar things could be accomplished if there was a way to access a
> > [delaywrite~] buffer as dynamically as you can an array.  One example
> would
> > be reading the buffer backwards?
> >
> > I'm eventually looking to build something similar to one of those Boss
> > Loopstations where you can overdub, reverse, etc in realtime.
> >
> > Granted, I know next to nothing about how these things are actually
> coded
> > inside, but I thought I would pose the question and ask for ideas.
> >
> > Thank you!
> > Kevin

"[D]aily life [is] a theatrical landscape in which 'everyone has their
price,' God (via televangelism) and happiness (smile buttons) become
commodities, radio stations say they love you, and detergents have
compassion for your hands.