[PD] Why in Brasil and how? (was: next conv in Brasil... meaning business)

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Sep 6 10:54:22 CEST 2007

On Wed, 5 Sep 2007, PORRES wrote:

> Sure, what amazed me is that it seemed there were several parallel
> events going on... (workshops, papers, round tables... concerts, etc...)
> for every taste or interest! Usually (at least here in Brasil for
> instance) the schedule is organized in a way that the events occur not
> simultaneously, or the events focus on one segment.

At both pd conventions there was not much overlap. There was more overlap
in the Montréal one because there was more stuff. I don't know whether I'd
like the next one to have less stuff in it. Perhaps taking more time like
5 or 6 days would be better. (Not counting the registration, the party and
the brunch, the Montréal convention was more like 4 days)

> I dont know how things happened in the first convention (you guys can
> tell me though), but I do believe we could do something multidimensional
> here as well...  with barcamps too... sure...

It's better to organise the schedule so that people organised in one thing
aren't likely to be interested in the other thing that happens at the same
time, but perhaps it's easy to say and hard to do.

> I do think the idea is to take it to several places... no matter how
> mature is the thing over there...

You don't need to have the developers, you need people who stick together
well and who are committed. If you have a "Users Group" with meetings, it
can help connecting people together. It doesn't need to be a club with
registration nor a not-for-profit company, it just needs people that want
to meet other users of pd.