[PD] Resizing an array according do size of sound file

Derek Holzer derek at umatic.nl
Mon Nov 12 18:26:09 CET 2007

Hi Ben,

So you are sending the audio through from [tabplay~] to [tabwrite~] in
realtime? Is that what I'm seeing here?

If so, then it's essentially live sampling. In this case, one normally
doesn't resize the table but instead uses the total number of samples of
whatever was live sampled as the lookup bounds. The actual table size
will then only be the absolute maximum amount of samples you might want
to record.

You might want to have a look at my Looper. It was designed to catch
audio and either loop or granukate it. The part you will want to look at
would be the looping part:

http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2006-02/035619.html

If I misunderstood, and what you are trying to do is something else,
please correct me. I have often found that writing a detailed email of
what I'm trying to do and what I've already tried sometimes is enough to
solve the problem for myself ;-)

best,
d.

Ben Carney wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have been using pd for a few months straight now and I am liking it very much.
>
> one hurdle that I am not quite able to get over is this:
>
>             I need to resize an array based on a new peice of audio
> being fed into it.
>
> my patch is set up something like this (much simplified to better
> illustrate the problem)
>

> sampleplayer_subpatch
>
> _________________________________
> |                                              ________________
> |                                             |table sampleplayer1|
> |
> |           tabplay~ sampleplayer1
> |             |
> |             |
>               outlet~
>
> recieving subpatch
>
> inlet~
> |

> tabwrite~ -resize sampleplayer1

> the problem here is that it thinks that -resize is part of the table
> name, not a function of tabwrite,
>
> I have tried using soundfiler, and that will resize a sample, but I
> need direct audio here and not a soundfile loaded externally.
>

> does anyone have any suggestions here? I hope I have been clear enough
> to make some sense of this.
>

> much thanks in advance,
>
> Ben

derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl ::: http://blog.myspace.com/macumbista