[PD] [psql] object hand-holding

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Dec 10 22:43:11 CET 2007

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007, Mike McGonagle wrote:

> In one of the early prototypes I wrote for this, I set it up so that the
> connections were shared. Basically, when an object tried to open a
> connection, it would check if there was already one open, and if so, it
> would use that. Else it would create a new connection, which would then
> get stored in the global connection object.

I think that the first argument of [psql] could be a receive-symbol,
followed by the query itself. Then [psql] would not use the receive-symbol
to send messages to, it would look at the receiver directly, checking that
it's a [psql.connection] object, and then calling a function of that
object directly, and get called back when a response is received. This is
quite close to how [tabread] works except it inserts a [delay] before the
result. It's how [tabread] would work if it were trying to access an array
on another computer.