[PD] lost messages with netsend

matteo sisti sette matteosistisette at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 15:15:38 CET 2008

Hi,

I use netsend and netreceive to send messages across 2 instances of pd
on the same machine (localhost).

I use the outlet of netsend to detect when netsend is connected, and
when it is ([select 1]) I immediately send out some data through it.

IN SOME CASES (no consistent behaviour detected), these data that are
sent just after the connection is established, are simply LOST, i.e.
they are not received at the other end, and netsend does NOT give the
error "netsend: not connected".

I cannot provide a test patch, since in any simple test this does not
happen, but when I put the very very exact same thing into a bigger
patch, this happens.

Even a [delay 0] between detecting the active connection and sending
the data does not fix the problem, while a [delay 500] for example
does.

In summary the problem is:
Messages sent to a [netsend] immediately after the connection is
established (after netsend has output a 1) may be lost, without
issuing an error message.

Has anyone experienced it?

Any suggestion on how to systematically trigger it so as to produce a
test patch to post to the bug tracker?

The bug may even be in netreceive, not necessarily netsend.

--
Matteo Sisti Sette
matteosistisette at gmail.com
http://www.matteosistisette.com