[PD] Fwd: using PD to access URL based images and video

dmotd dmotd at gmx.net
Sat Feb 23 17:34:03 CET 2008

marius schebella wrote:
> youtube videos are more tricky, because you would have to
> convert them from flash to some readable file format.

as gem has ffmpeg support, and ffmpeg can read flash (flv)
videos, then i can only assume that it is possible to do as
marius describes with youtube (with access permssions to the
youtube API).. from previous experience the youtube API is
quite straight forward to script with and i think the
results could be quite pleasing.. as my machine had begun to
disintegrate on the video side i can't actually test this
theory.. but it's certainly feasible.. otherwise running
numerous video conversion apps at a script level would
definitely sort you out at the obvious expense of CPU.. i
think this activity is certainly worth pursuing even
encouraging, a whole world (worthy?) of sampling.. i have
seen max/msp/jitter based work that does as described, can
anyone tell me if this is done natively?