[PD] [almost OT] need suggestions for an implementation

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Mar 13 14:19:10 CET 2008

Hallo,
matteo sisti sette hat gesagt: // matteo sisti sette wrote:

> You may argue that I am reluctant to use an external while I would use
> pdlua, but one thing is to install an external that solves a specific
> problem, another thing is to install one single extension mechanism
> (pdlua) that allows you to develop any "externals" (especially when
> we're talking of externals for manipulating data, not for using
> hardware etc).
>
> I think it's a pity that PD Vanilla doesn't include [symbol2list] or
> any objects capable of "breaking" symbols a little bit (with which one
> could build a symbol2list abstraction and maybe more), since it does
> give the possibility to join symbols.

I very much agree that pdlua is a wonderful extension ("best thing
since [list]") that should become one of the standard externals to
learn for every Pd user, because it can be used to implement all this
missing (message) functionality of vanilla Pd while still requiring
only a single tiny binary to install.

Some people may miss [s2l] in vanilla Pd, others miss a [pipe] for
variable length lists or a multi-period [metro], a flexible markov
chain object and whatnot. With pdlua most of this is almost trivial to
write and can be installed without the need to compile anything once
pdlua is installed.

Ciao