[PD] UI developer volunteering to help

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun May 11 16:57:35 CEST 2008

Oops, one other detail with the "encode" proc.  While namespaces are
probably the current way to handle function names, they are not used
for any other functions in u_main.tk  So for this function, I think
it should be called something like pdtk_encodelist without the
namespace, then grouped with pdtk_encode.  Something like this:

proc pdtk_encodelist {listdata} {
	set outlist {}
	foreach this_path $listdata {
		if {0==[string match "" $this_path]} {
			lappend outlist [pdtk_encodedialog $this_path]
		}
	}
	return $outlist
}

Then perhaps namespaces can be introduced later as a more systematic
approach.

.hc

On May 11, 2008, at 3:15 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> I just thought of one other thing:  I think it would be very useful
> if Path, Startup, Audio Settings, and MIDI settings where all tabs
> in one panel, instead of four separate panels.
>
> .hc
>
> On May 11, 2008, at 1:29 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>

>> Wow, what an improvement!  I like it a lot.  I have some comments:
>>
>> - minor thing, maybe there could be less space on the sides, so
>> the panel would be narrower?
>>
>> - about the Apply button, I think it should only show up on
>> platforms where it is a common thing.  On Mac OS X, it should just
>> be OK and Cancel.  On Windows, there should be Apply.  I think
>> GNOME has moved away from Apply, but I don't know anything about KDE.
>>
>> - some separation of the buttons on the right column would make
>> things clearer, I think.  Like maybe Up/Down on the right side,
>> and then Add..., Edit..., and Delete on the bottom?  Or maybe just
>> changing Up and Down to arrows?
>>
>> - the startup thing is trickier.  I think that the textfield for
>> entering values should be embedded into the panel instead of a
>> popup.  Also, it doesn't seem to work for me (I am using 0.41-4
>> vanilla).  I can't add items to the list.
>>
>> I think once this is worked out, the best plan would be to submit
>> a patch to the tracker and assign it to Miller.  Then I'll also
>> include it in Pd-extended.
>>
>> .hc
>>
>> On May 11, 2008, at 2:25 AM, David Golightly wrote:
>>
>>> Just verified against my own install of Pd-extended-0.40.3 on OS
>>> X 10.4 - enough differences exist otherwise in the nightlies that
>>> this version of the file will only work with 0.41.4.
>>>
>>> Attached is an updated (slightly bugfixed) version.
>>>
>>> So... what's the procedure for checking in to svn :)?
>>>
>>> -David
>>>

>>> On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 4:24 PM, David Golightly
>>> <davigoli at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Well scratch that then, perhaps that will only work when you're
>>> building pd on your own machine.  If you launch Pd from Terminal,
>>> you might see error output in that terminal window - that would
>>> be helpful to have.
>>>

>>> On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 3:17 PM, marius schebella
>>> <marius.schebella at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I tried this with pd extended 0.40-3, but did not get a startup
>>> pref window at all and the path window was very small and empty.
>>> (os x, 10.5.)
>>> marius.
>>>
>>> David Golightly wrote:
>>> And, here's a version with an updated Startup dialog.  Simply
>>> copy this to bin/pd.tk <http://pd.tk> (make a backup first!) to
>>> try it out.
>>>

>>> On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 12:48 PM, David Golightly
>>> <davigoli at gmail.com <mailto:davigoli at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>

>>>    On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 12:36 PM, Steffen Juul <stffn at dibidut.dk
>>>    <mailto:stffn at dibidut.dk>> wrote:
>>>

>>>        On 10/05/2008, at 19.48, David Golightly wrote:
>>>
>>>            Ok, after a busy week this is what I've been able to
>>> come up
> [...]

----

scarcity."        -John Gilmore