[PD] product placements with pd

Mike McGonagle mjmogo at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 19:08:37 CEST 2008

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 11:44 AM, marius schebella <
marius.schebella at gmail.com> wrote:

> Mike McGonagle wrote:
>
>> I once thought that, "Hey, if I take a two-by-four that is long enough to
>> cover all the keys on a piano, and slam it down on all the keys at one time,
>> that I would thus create every other piece ever written, or that will be
>> written"... I have since grown up...
>>
>> I don't think any court would allow you to even consider this possibility,
>> as there is an issue of context. A single sample by itself, has absolutely
>> no relationship to another sample, and as such, would make each of these
>> 65536 "piece" NON-unique. I think this would be like trying to create a
>> piece with a single sound that is continuous, but never changes. Something,
>> in my opinion, has to be unique to the piece to be able to claim copyright.
>>

> but that is exactly what the record industry is neglecting: that taking
> samples and putting them together for a new piece is really creating
> something new. they think they can own a series of samples as property and
> if you include that into a piece you have to pay them money.
>
> there is no rule or limit for the length, the whole copyright system is
> based on vague assumptions, rather based on intimidation than on legal
> thoughts.
> marius.

Well, I wonder how much that argument stems from back in the 80's when
people really started to take pre-recorded music (ie a riff from some
pre-existing song, etc.) and then use that as the basis for their "song",
which really was just a variation of the original, and THEN not even credit
the source of the original sample.

I seem to remember Frank Zappa making a statement to the effect "If you take
even just one sample from my work, then you are stealing from me". On the
one hand, I agree with him on that (in so much as you are using his work,
and most likely uncredited), but at the same time, I would challenge even
him to be able to tell that ONE sample was lifted from his work. In other
words, that one sample has been removed from the context of the original
Zappa recording.

But yeah, you are right, once the lawyers got involved with the Record
Industry, they just look for people to be ripping them off, which I can
understand, but only to a point.

Mike