[PD] adding 'debian' folder to trunk

Claude Heiland-Allen claudiusmaximus at goto10.org
Wed Oct 22 01:01:53 CEST 2008

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> Anyone have a problem if we add a 'debian' folder to the trunk?

I think it's a bad idea.

> That's the standard debian setup,  then it would be possible to
> build .debs for all the libs by downloading trunk and running the
> build in the nromal way.

As far as I understand it, standard Debian setup is stable source
tarballs from "upstream", then Debian maintainer adds "debian/",
updating it as needed for each new upstream release and/or packaging fixes.

> For Pd itself, there probably should be a pd/debian folder.  Ideally
> Miller would include Günter's debian folder that he uses for the
> official debian package.

I think it's better to keep the "debian/" stuff managed separately, and
for stable source tarballs to be released when the author(s) feel they
are ready to be packaged for Debian and/or any other distro/OS/whatever.

Better to have distro maintainers do what they're good at and Pd
maintainers do what they're good at, rather than trying to do the whole
world's job, imo.