[PD] Pd/GEM crashing in fc8

Jaime Oliver jaime.oliver2 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 10:38:46 CET 2008

hello again,

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 1:13 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> wrote:

> Jaime Oliver wrote:
>
>> Hi Iohannes,
>>

>>> do the problems go away when you _not_ load Gem?
>>>

>> Yes, as far as I can tell, they go away.
>>

> darn

darn indeed

>  has Gem been compiled against the correct version of Pd?
>>>

>> I don't know, I can't remember when was the last time I downloaded this
>> version of GEM, it only says:
>> ver: 0.91-cvs
>>

> so did you compile Gem yourself or are you using a pre-compiled binary?

I compiled it myself

 (m_pd.h used for compilation of Gem belongs to Pd-binary used)

>>> it seems like i missed the version of Pd you are trying to use.
>>>

>> My pd version is pd-0.41-4, the thing is that it was working properly
>> before
>> i installed all the new libraries and mplayer. That is, the gem and pd
>> versions were the same before and they worked fine together... is this
>> relevant?
>>

> hmm, just in order to get it right: you installed Pd and Gem and everything
> worked fine; then you installed mplayer and updated some libraries; then the
> old binaries of pd/Gem started to crash.

YES

> this sounds very much like an ABI problem to me.

what does ABI mean? I'm pretty sure it's not any of these:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABI...
(you'll excuse my ignorance in this and some of what follows...)

> since Gem uses some of the libraries you upgraded (libquicktime, libmpeg3,
> FFMPEG(!)), it is a good idea to re-link Gem to this libraries.

well, when i run ./configure in GEM, it tells me:

use mpeg-3 : yes
use quicktime : yes
use ffmpeg : yes

So doesn't this imply they are linked? I didn't have this libraries on this
computer before, so they are brand new.

> this is especially true for FFMPEG which ha a policy of not maintaining
> compatibility to older releases.
> it is recommended to build Gem without ffmpeg support (unless you know what
> you are doing and you really need it) .... though i think it won't compile
> with recent ffmpeg anyhow :-)

Actually, I could do without it, but I don't know how to get rid of it... is
there a nice command like uninstall ffmpeg? I installed it via-yum with
freshrpms or a similar repo... I imagine i could do without mpeg3 to.

to read mp4s i just need quicktime right?

>  Should I download and compile the latest versions of gem and Pd and see?
>>

> just re-compiling Gem should be sufficient.

Ok, so I got his errors:

make[1]: Entering directory `/home/joliverl/Desktop/Gem/src/Pixes'
In file included from pix_filmNEW.cpp:28:
../Pixes/filmFFMPEG.h:23:22: error: avformat.h: No such file or directory
../Pixes/filmFFMPEG.h:24:21: error: avcodec.h: No such file or directory
In file included from pix_filmNEW.cpp:30:
../Pixes/filmMPEG3.h:22:22: error: libmpeg3.h: No such file or directory
In file included from filmMPEG3.cpp:16:
../Pixes/filmMPEG3.h:22:22: error: libmpeg3.h: No such file or directory
In file included from filmFFMPEG.cpp:17:
../Pixes/filmFFMPEG.h:23:22: error: avformat.h: No such file or directory
../Pixes/filmFFMPEG.h:24:21: error: avcodec.h: No such file or directory

so there seems to be problems both with mpeg3 and ffmpeg, is this what you
mean by linking them?

--
Jaime E Oliver LR

joliverl at ucsd.edu