[PD] pd-linux/irritating dialog box location

Damian Stewart damian at frey.co.nz
Tue Dec 2 14:54:55 CET 2008

Ilias Anagnostopoulos wrote:
> Hello IOhannes,
>
> Actually, I've been wondering about this myself. What do you mean with
> "configure the window manager"? As in people changing this manually on
> their computer settings, or as in hard-coded in the PD code?
>
> The vast majority of applications have pop-ups appearing on top of old
> windows, except from PD, on the same computer. Does it have to do with
> tk/tcl?
>
> -Ilias

there's something severly busted with Pd's usage of Tcl/Tk. under Ubuntu i
have Alt-` rigged up as my cycle-between-windows-of-an-application key
(like Alt-Tab but restricted to windows of the current application), and it
works on every application except for Pd.

the same problem is present with Pd-Vanilla on OSX (as in, the Apple-` key
doesn't cycle through Pd windows), and is half-broken on Pd-extended
(Apple-` works until you hit the main Pd window, then it breaks).

Hans-Cristoph Steiner, Chun Lee, and myself (where i can) are in the early
planning stages of a project to rebuild pd.tk to take care of some of these
issues, and to clean things up to make them more easily extensible. more
people are welcome to join in the fun, post on pd-dev if you like.

damian stewart | skype: damiansnz | damian at frey.co.nz
frey | live art with machines | http://www.frey.co.nz