[PD] svn:externals WAS: an easy way to replay a Pd-session (gui)

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Dec 3 17:56:17 CET 2008

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> On Dec 2, 2008, at 6:36 AM, Chris McCormick wrote:

>>> is there any chance to sync the two repositories?
>>> (personally i would still suggest an svn:externals link; but let's
>>> keep
>>> this for later :-))

sorry for re-starting the flame-war.
it was not my intention but couldn't keep my mouth shut.

> I really don't want to dictate here, but I think we need to decide on
> how we use the SVN.  svn:externals create more annoying work in
> regards to getting Pd-extended builds out, but that is not the only
> use of the SVN.  I can accept more annoying work, but there needs to
> be a good reason.
>
> My question remains, what is the problem we are trying to solve using
> svn:externals?  If it is to include code that gets built with Pd-
> extended, then svn:externals doesn't work well for that, just
> importing releases works much better.

this is the main point where i disagree.
most Pd-libraries seem to have stopped doing a regular release-cycle.
for those included in Pd-extended, this is most likely due to their
inclusion in Pd-extended.
other libraries do not have a release cycle too, esp. if they are under
some kind of public avaible version control system. the reason remains
unknown, but i guess for most of these their upstream author consider
release cycles for a "minor" library to much of a hazzle.

i totally understand e.g. chris, if he doesn't want to re-import a new
version of s-abstractions just because he has added 2 objects.
(this is jut my interpretation)

but nevertheless: s-abstractions are in our svn, chris pointed me to
s-totalrecall.pd which i thought (rightfully) to be part of
s-abstractions (without having ever had a look at this library), i
checked whether this lib is in my checkout of the repo (which it is) and
i couldn't find the very object.
assuming that chris hadn't made fun of me, i checked the logfiles of
s-abstractions and noted that there was only a initial submit.
i decided to search for the library on other places (using google) and
eventually found the upstream repository.

i think such "workflow" does more harm than not.

> I think it's time to have a IRC meeting about this.  How about
> Thursday?  I am trying to be in #dataflow as much as possible these
> days, if anyone wants to have an impromptu discussion.

i'm at piksel right now, so i will not be able to attend any meeting in
this week,

mfga.r
IOhannes