[PD] Call for GSoC mentors! March 9th deadline!

Kyle Klipowicz kyleklip at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 16:53:54 CET 2009

How about this project:
Beginners Building Blocks.

Right now, If I want to even make a simple sine oscillator synth with an
ADSR envelope on it, it's not very easy to do out of the box. What if there
were some entry-level abstractions in a very OBVIOUS location that people
could instantly piece together some classic Unit Generators. Important for
these would be the ability to copy/paste items from a main page of
abstractions. Also, they should have a simple GUI interface, and possibly be
set up automatically to use SSAD.

I'm thinking stuff like:

-basic envelope generators
-basic oscillators (bandlimited ones would be nice): sine, square, triangle,
sawtooth
-basic i/o that is more intuitive to newbies
-basic sample players (one shot, looping, pitch shifting, multi-sample a la
fluidsynth)
-basic MIDI controller mapping tools (so people could just twist a knob to
assign a parameter)
-basic step, piano roll, &c sequencers
-basic pitch/rhythm analysis (wrappers for sigmund~, fiddle~, and bonk~)
-basic modular counters
-an extensive collection of examples using these objects, documenting
parameters, as well as ways to connect and/or modify and save new versions
of objects using SSAD
-video stuff would also be great, something akin to a freshened up
PixelTango.

Anyway, I just thought these things would be really nice to have in an
accessible place in Pd-extended. Because right now whenever I just want to
make something very simple, i end up having to click a mouse about 200 times
which is annoying and makes me worried about RTS!

Pd and Pd-extended are so difficult to navigate for newbies. There need to
be more "pick up and go" audio tools. I'm thinking of how Reaktor and
Max/MSP are so easy to dive into. Pd is a lot like a cold cold ocean whereas
the other two are nice warm swimming pools. Pd is deeper and more exciting
by far, but you can get swept away in an undertow never to return!

This project could be accomplished by merging elements from NetPd, Pdmtl,
and various slick patches made by the resident list geniuses. (Another thing
about NetPd if Roman and Eni are listening: can you make a tar.gz or zip
download of ALL current NetPd patches? I hate having to download 30+ items
one at a time. RTS fears again!)

So there's my way more than 2 cents. Take what you will from it.

~Kyle

-----
http://perhapsidid.wordpress.com
http://myspace.com/kyleklipowicz