[PD] couldnt create pdp

Claude Heiland-Allen claudiusmaximus at goto10.org
Wed Mar 18 12:57:29 CET 2009

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> Worst comes to worst, Pd and Pd-extended runs best on Debian-based
> distros like Debian, Ubuntu, pure:dyne, etc.
>
> .hc

pd-extended might work on pure:dyne (after all, it's Debian with extra
packages), but it won't ever be in the live distro, and installing it
will remove all the supported pd externals from pure:dyne (they depend
on puredata, which pd-extended conflicts with, or should if it has been
packaged properly).

One of the main reasonings behind Pd in pure:dyne is to package each
library on its own, to avoid both the maintenance nightmares of a huge
package build system and the tricky timing involved to get "all
externals working at once".  Each package can be tested separately and
upgraded separately, increasing quality and saving bandwidth.

BTW, pure:dyne has packages for pdp + friends, with no pdp_metro_setup
issue:

$ nm -D /usr/lib/pd/extra/pdp/pdp.pd_linux | grep metro
0000f9f0 T pdp_metro_setup

So I guess the original issue is another pd-extended bug.

Claude
--
http://claudiusmaximus.goto10.org
http://puredyne.goto10.org