[PD] Slow cpu/RJDJ patching approach ...

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Tue May 26 20:34:04 CEST 2009

On May 26, 2009, at 1:52 PM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> Yeah, I agree that the communications are a big part of it.  Part
>> of writing a custom GUI would be to write a simple communications
>> to suit the needs at hand.
>> But I think that the slowness in Pd's GUI is not even that much due
>> to communications, but rather how the code is structured.  For
>> example, if you move on element in an array, instead of issuing a
>> single Tk 'move' command, Pd deletes the whole array, then
>> recreates it.
>
> this is (among other things) what i mean by "busted communication".
>
>> And Dan, I also share your frustration with the common attitude on
>> this list of "it is what it is".  That's why I am working on re-
>> writing the Pd GUI from scratch in pure Tcl with the aim of making
>> it use Tcl/Tk is a clean and sensible manner (aka Pd-devel 0.41.4).
>
> oh, i thought you wanted miller to include the code of Pd-
> devel...seems like you got off the track :-(

Um, how is this mutually exclusive?  My motivation in working on pd-
devel is unchanged.

> which is bad, because Pd could also benefit from small improvements
> on the gui side quite a lot.
> which is good, because it really needs to be done. my email was just
> a rant on how bad things really are at the moment, and that i would
> like to have them changed.
> but which is really bad, as i think this is what desire-data
> originally started as (and btw, i see much activity on desiredata in
> the last days/weeks) and which basically forked away from Pd
> (certainly for understandable reasons; but i always had the
> impression that the reviving of Pd-devel was not intended as a fork)

 From what I gather, Miller is more or less game for including that
work.  My plan is to spend June and July working on Pd-devel to get it
to a fully usable state so that we can discuss it at PdCon.  I hope
that others will join me in that effort.

In particular, I want to structure the code around the idea of a
communications API that uses Pd messages for both directions.  For
now, it will use the existing pd<-->pd-gui API, then the next step
would be working on the C side of things once Miller has included it.

.hc

> fgamsdr
> IOhannes

I have the audacity to believe that peoples everywhere can have three
and dignity, equality and freedom for their spirits.      - Martin
Luther King, Jr.