[PD] vanilla | extended | svn | x86_64

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Wed Sep 23 16:23:16 CEST 2009

On Sep 23, 2009, at 4:15 AM, Pierre wrote:

> Hello all
> since now i always used a 32 bit system, but yesterday i just re-
> install my computer with a brand new 64 bit linux distribution
> (ubuntu 9.10), and I think I will keep it as is (it seams to me that
> this new ubuntu '9.10' 64 bit is really faster than my old '8.04'
> 32bit)
>
> As pd-extended for x86_64 is not auto-builded  i wanted to compile
> it from SVN.
> So I have some questions :
>
> - is there a document which explain the SVN directory structure ?

Not entirely, for Pd-extended, you'll want to check out the branch:

svn co https://pure-data.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/pure-data/branches/pd-extended/0.41

> - what is the diffrences between "pd-extended" and "pd-vanilla with
> all externals"

There was just a message about this.  Basically  the difference is
between which core Pd is used, Pd-extended or Pd-vanilla.  Pd-extended
has a lot of changes/patches to the core as well as a lot of libraries.

> - to build pd-extended do i need to download all svn repository ?
> (~6Go ) - what is the simpliest way to compile pd-extended on x86_64

First setup your machine with the packages you need:

http://puredata.info/docs/developer/Debian

Then do this:

   svn co https://pure-data.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/pure-data/branches/pd-extended/0.41
   cd 0.41/packages/linux_make
   make install
   make package

Then you'll have a .deb to install.  Also, search puredata.info for
"64 bit", there are some specific wiki pages about that topic.

publicity.          - Bill Moyers