[PD] vanilla, extended, svn and x86_64

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Wed Sep 23 16:28:44 CEST 2009

On Sep 23, 2009, at 8:44 AM, Pierre wrote:

> Hi dmotd,
> many thanks for yours explanations !
>

>>> - is there a simple way to have and manage differents pd
>>> (vanilla,  extended, gui-rewrite) with differents versions on the
>>> same computer ?
>>>

>> just compile without installing.. and launch pd from the command
>> line using ./pd or something similar,
> ok
>
> I'll do that, don't install, and run ./pd from src directory
> because :
>
>> for something more sophisticated choose a different install target
>> for each build and build a script that chooses version at /usr/bin/pd
>
> I think configuring '--prefix=' at each compilation will be too
> confusing for me.
>

>>> - I would like to use the latest sources, nightly build was just
>>> fine  for me on 32bit
>>>

>> better anyhow, the latest stable candidate of extended is not
>> designed for 64bit and needs to be heavily patched.
>>
> ok , a bit sad
> but I'll continue to try to compile and use the 64bit build

As far as I know, there are no 64-bit issues with the core of Pd-
extended 0.41.4.  Not all libraries work at 64-bit yet though.  The
more people who use 64bit means more people finding and reporting
bugs, so they can be fixed, so I am glad you are taking this project on.

You could start with Pd-extended 0.42.5, which has not been released
yet, and is a bit rough.

.hc