[PD] Pd-list Digest, Vol 55, Issue 120

João Pais jmmmpais at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 4 12:47:26 CET 2009

>> I suggest you keep your day job maintaing networks. it's much more well
>> paid than art jobs, which means that you can work less and have more
>> time
>> for you. plus, the frustration of not being involved in art gives you
>> energy to sit down and work on your things when you finally manage it.
>> you
>> don't waste those artistic thoughts somewhere else, like producing a
>> concert
>> or something.
>> Unless you've already good well-known in the field, and are able to get
>> "regular" amount of paid comissions/projects done.
>>

> I an second that statement.
>
> I'm working for Ars Electronica right now and I've basically discovered
> that
> working in the field blows.  My energy has been wasted on boring
> commercial-oriented stuff and I don't have any energy for my own work
> ... I
> wish I was delivering chinese food again.  Plus the network admin job
> probably pays far better then mine. *sigh*

afaik, ars electronica isn't exactly the best-paying place in the world.
but look on the good side, you might learn enough experience when you
decide not to renew your contract, like many do. just leave as soon as you
can.

[did we met in July in Linz? I'm a friend of Enrique Tomás, I was there to
work with him on a performance of our trio.]

João Pais