[PD] Pd, Max/Msp, Reaktor, Plogue Bidule... How do these compare?

Jeffrey Concepcion jeffreyconcepcion at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 17:54:19 CET 2009

>From an audio processing perspective...

My first introduction to a visual programming environment was Reaktor, then
Max, then Pd. Only recently did i find out about plogue bidule. As far as
interface goes they seem quite similar, and one obviously must consider that
the commercial products have customer support rather than the community
effort that is PD (which is great, don't get me wrong) and the "user
friendliness" approach they must have in order to appeal to users.

As far as i know, reaktor and plogue bidule have VST capabilities, i believe
the last i read about the [vst] object in Pd was that is was generally
defective (can anyone confirm or correct this?). Max seems to be the largest
and most complex of all (The creators of the Monome <http://monome.org/> and
OHM64 <http://www.lividinstruments.com/hardware_ohm64.php> both designed
their product with max, although i'm sure it could have been with Pd just
the same). correct me if i'm wrong, but i understand that pd and max are the
most powerful, although i've yet to build anything that sounds as good as
what i was able to make in reaktor, and i have no idea about the sound
quality that can be achieved with plogue bidule.

your thoughts?

jeff

--
www.avmachinists.org Puerto Rico based Art Collective/ Non-Profit Org