[PD] message box issue with blank spaces

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Dec 14 10:57:21 CET 2009

Hallo,

(I forgot to send this mail last week, now it may be outdated already...)

Bryan Jurish hat gesagt: // Bryan Jurish wrote:

> afaik, the issue you're observing is due to the message box, which uses
> t_binbuf internally to (re-)parse messages into pd atoms.

I think, it only happens on saving or reloading of a patch, though. For example
in the attachement a numeric symbol is generated with [makefilename %d] and
written to a message box. While this symbol looks like a number, it is in fact
a symbol (as intended) and cannot be used for calculations (but it can be used
as text in Gem). However after saving and reloading the patch, the message box
converts it to a float, so now you can use it with math but not as a symbol
anymore.

> you are correct that symbols can easily contain spaces (and pretty much
> anything else except for ASCII NUL): the problem is getting the funny bytes
> in & back out again... anyone else should feel free to correct me on this if
> I've got it wrong, of course...

I think, you're right. It extends to many places in the Pd editor. While for
example the symbol box can display symbols with backslached escaped spaces, you
still cannot enter them into a symbol atom "manually" i.e. by typing.

Ciao
--
Frank