[PD] gem.conf

Peter Plessas plessas at mur.at
Mon Dec 14 12:32:29 CET 2009

IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> cyrille henry wrote:
>>
>> a nice use i see with this conf file is to change default video in device.
>> so that you don't have change your patch if you change computer (1 with
>> V4L and 1 with V4L2 webcam)...
>>

> like that.
>
> or whether you want to use threaded image loading or not.
> (i couldn't think of a way to not want that; till karmic...)
> ((right; we shouldn't use configuration to circumvent bugs))
>
> anyhow, i believe that a patch should be as cross-platform as possible.
> so indeed something like "driver v4l2" is ugly since it is non portable.
>
> i also believe that machine configuration should be machine
> configuration and not patch configuration.

What about this:
Perhaps indicate the successful loading of those files in the post
window instead of posting an error message when the files are not around.
I routinely check the Pd window for errors at startup, and stumble
accross the gem.conf "error" messages. Wait, hu? What's there? (relief)
oh, only the new gem feature. :-)
Since gem.config is an optional and probly very useful mechanism
changing the way the file loading mechanism reports back might make the
current "problem" much less of an issue?

Peter "2cents"